Terms And Conditions
Please read the information below carefully. Enrolling in a class and paying for the fees signifies the acceptance of our terms and
conditions. The Alliance Française Calgary (AFC) reserves the right to change or alter these terms and conditions without
If, under any circumstances, we are unable to provide the service you have paid for, we will notify you in order to make an agreeable arrangement or a refund.
Group Classes & Private Lessons
1. A membership is not necessary to enroll in a class.
2. If the student is under the age of 18, we ask that a parent or guardian liaise with the AFC on his or her behalf. Parental consent, in the form of payment or written authorization, will be required in order to provide services to a minor.
3. A student must be at least 16 on the first day of class to be eligible for adult classes.
4. A student must enroll for the entire course. There will be no pro-rating for missed classes or late registrations. We reserve the right not to accept enrollment into a session if the student has missed the first week of class.
5. Withdrawal from a class is possible up to 5 business days before the beginning of class with a 20% administration charge. Requests for withdrawal should be submitted by email only. No refund nor credit will be granted less than 5 business days prior to the beginning of the class.
6. Private tuition: No refund nor credit will be granted for cancellation of private tuition packages. Purchased hours must be used within a set period according to the package purchased. Any hours not used beyond the period cannot be used, refunded or credited (refer to our website for more info). If a teacher is not available anymore, we will find another teacher for the student.
7. To ensure the best quality of teaching, the AFC reserves the right to redirect a student in a different level if the instructor feels that the student’s level does not match the rest of the class.
8. The Alliance Française strives to be a safe environment for everyone. Disrespect of any form towards students or staff will not be tolerated.
A placement test is required to determine each student's appropriate class level. Students with prior knowledge of French must complete the
placement test. No complaint will be attended to if students choose to skip the placement test and enrol in the wrong class/level.
Private lessons: Students must specify the amount of hours they wish to commit to and pay for them upfront.
Full payment must be received before the first day of class. Payment method accepted include: credit card (VISA, MASTER CARD), cash, or cheques.
Organizations will only be invoiced when a purchase order or letter of authority is supplied at time of enrollment. Invoices must be paid in full within 30 days of emission.
Textbooks are not included in the tuition fees.
The AFC reserves the right to cancel, re-arrange, or modify the schedule of a class should the enrollment be insufficient (less than 4 students). Classes with less than 6 students will have reduced hours.
a. Standard classes:
i. For groups of 6 or more students: 24 hours.
ii. For groups of 4 or 5 students: 21 hours.
b. Other classes:
i. For groups of 6 or more students: 12 hours.
ii. For groups of 4 or 5 students: 10.5 hours.
Cancellation / Withdrawal Policy
Group classes: No make-up classes will be offered for missed classes. A student may contact the teacher to inquire about
missed material. Private tuition is available at a fee and can be used to receive private help.
Alliance Française Calgary cannot be held responsible for students’ changes in work commitments, school and leisure activities schedules or personal circumstances. Withdrawing from a group class is possible given that it was requested five (5) full business days before the first day of class in writing to email@example.com. There are three (3) options:
1) 80% refund; OR
2) Transfer into a different class; OR
3) Credit to the account which must be used as per credit policies, subject to administration fees.
If withdrawal notice is done less than 5 business days before the start of the class, no refund or credit will be issued. Please note that the absence from class does not constitute notice of withdrawal.
All cancellations must be made in writing and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refunds will only be issued for sessions cancelled at least 2 weeks prior to the first day of camp. A $50.00 cancellation fee per child per session will be applied.
No refund will be given for withdrawal within 2 weeks before the first day of the camp.
Refund for medical reasons will be granted upon presentation of a medical note to the AFC.The request must be sent to email@example.com with any accompanying document(s).
There will be no pro-rated refunds for a missed day under any circumstances.
There will be no refunds for non-participation to an activity organized by the AFC.
Transfers will be accepted up to two weeks before the beginning of the earliest session’s beginning date provided there is availability. All request must be done in writing and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. A $25.00 fee will be charged for the transfer.
Private lessons: We require two (2) full business days notice for a cancellation. The cancellation notice MUST be sent to the teacher and the administration of the AFC at email@example.com. A student who does not give a two (2) business days notice will be charged the full amount of the class.
If a credit is given, it is valid for six (6) months from the day of emission. Any unused credit beyond the six (6) month period will
be voided from the client’s account.
Missed classes do not allow for credit notes.
A credit cannot be cashed or transferred to another client.
Classes will not be held on public holidays, but additional time may be added to some classes or rescheduled within the term. Refunds will not be given to students who are unable to attend replacement sessions.
Please note, tickets for events and activities are non-refundable and not-exchangeable; cancellations will not be reimbursed.
Children and Teenagers Classes - Drop-Off and Pick-Up:
To ensure the safety of the children and to make sure your child has the best learning experience with us, we ask the parents to drop-off their child to the classroom where the Alliance Française’s teacher is present. In the same way, parents are to pick up their child from the classroom, as the teacher will only release the students to a person explicitly authorized by the parents.
Income Tax Receipt
In accordance with Revenue Canada, tuition fees may be tax deductible. A tax receipt can be issued by the AFC at the end of each fiscal year. The student must make a written request by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The receipt will be issued within the following five (5) business days.
A completion certificate can be provided. A completion certificate will only be emitted if the student has attended more than 80% of the classes. The student must make a written request by email at email@example.com. The certificate will be issued within five (5) business days of the request.
In the event of a personal emergency, sudden illness or accident, you authorize AFC to see medical, hospital or ambulance service on your behalf should the AFC staff consider it necessary. You agree that you will be solely responsible for any expenses associated with the provision of such service.
Protecting your privacy and personal information is important to AFC. It is, however, important for us to collect certain personal information from you in order to offer you effective and efficient service.
We will only collect information from you with your knowledge and consent; only use personal information provided by you for the purpose/s for which it was collected, not disclose your personal information to a third party without your prior consent, ensure that your personal information is not disclosed to other institutions except if required by law or other regulation, and remove your personal information from our system where it is no longer required.
Please call us (403) 245-5662 to provide any necessary corrections to your personal information.
The AFC emails a regular newsletter to keep its clients and students informed of our activities. Should you wish to unsubscribe from our newsletter, you may do so directly on the newsletter.
The AFC makes every reasonable effort to ensure that course information supplied is correct at all times. It reserves the right to change any course, private tuition, fees and tutors when necessary. All attempts will be made to notify enrolled students about any changes.
By participating in the classes and activities of the Alliance Française of Calgary, you grant the right to use photographs and films taken
during classes or activities without compensation or approval rights, for use in materials created for purposes of promoting the activities
of Alliance Française of Calgary only.
These terms and conditions will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws in force in the Province of Alberta and, by purchasing a product with us, you submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of that Province.
TEF & DELF EXaminations
1. The Alliance Française is providing a service. We do not advise candidates regarding the examination they should take.
2. No refund or deferment is possible. Cancellations for climatic, personal or health reasons are not possible.
3. To register for an examination, you have to complete the form and pay for the fees. Fees have to be paid before the date of the examination (please refer to the appropriate webpage for the deadline).
Last updated: October 1st 2018